Tuesday, April 1, 2014

.....Some Travels in the New England Spring Time....


         Today of all days that is reminding me of Spring time in New England, and my home in Connecticut. Even here next to my open window, here in my new home of Florida, I can feel that fresh air that you only feel this time of year, no matter where you live.
     With that, I'm also feeling what I used to do back home, in Warren, around the Lake. I would get my boy or boys...who ever was around, at the time....Otis, Buddy, or Tokas, and jump in the vehicle of choice. I did have a few to chose from, but the two that stand out would be the '72 Mustang convertible, or the '72 Toyota Land Crusier. 
    I owned them at different times in my life...first the Land Crusier, which is the one that I thought of when thinking of how this day reminded me of when I would go off for a ride beginning as an errand, then ending up as a ride through the unknown. A lot of the times I would be coming home, then seeing a 'Dead End' sign at the beginning of some old 'Wood' Road, the Crusier would go into auto-drive, and just seemed to steer right for that sign.
    At that point I had no choice but to follow it to wherever it would take me. Most times I'd luck out and get through to the other end, with the worst ending up in the back yard of some Farm that long ago was the road they took to town. I'd just wave with some innocent smile on my face, as I drove by the farmer and his family, working in the garden.

      That road was close to a location that I ended up in at another time....I wrote this in November, 7th 1973.....

     A short run into the woods off Norfolk Road, Litchfield, I drove as far as I could when I had to stop, and couldn't drive any farther. I decided to continue by foot, as I did many times to 'scout' ahead, and also gave the dogs a chance to run. The 'Road' ahead was not as thick as some, but walking was the quickest, and less time consuming. It brought me to a field...of sorts....where passing through this I noticed a 'Land-marker' that resembled an antenna, which could be moved in a circle. The base itself was a metal           plaque 'rooted' by a square metal post. The plaque read :
                
                  This is our life exempt from public Haunts,
                  finds tongues in trees, books in running brooks,
                  Sermons in stones, and good in everything.....

     There was also a stone fireplace, with a grill, that was well built and beyond this was a brook about fifty feet away. Then beyond that were farmers fields, and then route 63, that goes in and out of Litchfield.

      It was a few years until I pasted that way again, long enough so that when I saw that area, it had been sub-divided with new homes.

      I've had many a good times with that Land Crusier, as many  will attest, and now siting here under a beautiful April sky, they all come rushing back to me. I will at some point get more stories of my 'Adventures' with that old beast, but until then I do wish you all a very happy and joyful spring, which I know this year all of you in my home of New England, most well desire......
  
 
                   

No comments:

Post a Comment