Monday, April 14, 2014

....Taking the Last Train to Pittsfield...a Tribute


       Going back to the Summer of 1974, I was involved with the group, Housatonic Valley Association . An organization committed to preserving the Housatonic Valley, in which the River of the same name flowed and that I had grown up on. That Summer they sponsored an event at the Mohawk Ski Area, where they had guest like the then Senator Ribacoff of Connecticut. Also the Paul Winter group, noted for their music of natural sounding creatures, like Whales and Dolphins. Inside there were people set up in their different categories of Environment concerns. Down stairs was set up for a movie that was to premiere that day. That movie was called 'The Last Train to Pittsfield', and was going to be shown by the man who made it. As the time for the screening was about to happen I wandered down stairs to get a good spot. There behind the Projector, was a tall, shaggy haired fellow with an 'Air' of confidence, along with intelligence. 
    I soon settled in for the show, and what a show it was! I was amazed at the beauty it had shown for the Valley that I had grown up in, along with the facts that went along with what the movie was truly about....saving a small portion of our environment.
     I now own two copies of that same film, since I soon befriended  that same man that made this wonderful film, and soon to find out what made up that 'confidence and intelligence' in the man that became a good friend, mentor and partner in an event that would show us both a new way to experience life, and go trough the next 40 years looking at things in so many different ways.

     The next time I saw Tom Barry, he was at the Pub enjoying what I later learned was a favorite pass-time of his, drinking beer. I approached him in caution thinking that this New York 'type' would not put of with any out side disruption. I was immediately proven wrong, when I introduced myself as one who had seen his film. 
    That and a few more beers, it was obvious that he was just like us 'hicks' here in Northwest Connecticut. As it turned out he owned a house in Warren, and an apartment in New York, that was rent controlled. I can't recall how soon after that this evolved into a solid friendship that would in-dour over many years, and experience a life time of memories that shall not be soon forgotten. And now I would like to share some of these as a rememberence to one of the finest, funniest, free-spirited man that I shall ever have met.

    .......I will continue this, after gathering taking some time to gather my thoughts ..........
 

No comments:

Post a Comment