Friday, November 22, 2013

Count Down of The Top '40's' Hits of the Year 1961...on WMGM, New York.

   In 1960's, like most kids those days, we always had our ears glued to the Radio....of course back then it was only A.M. radio, which wasn't all that bad, considering that was when I heard 'little Stevie Wonder's first song. He was 13 and I was about the same age, our birthdays are close . It happened in the garage, where my father had his office and work-shop. Many things transpired there, but I think this one made the most difference to me at that young age, and looking back now, how music in general affected my life. There was a large up-right Radio next to his desk. I would go there alone, and listen intently to all the sounds coming out of this wonderful gadget. Some were two-way frequencies where I could pick up on other conversations. A multifunctional devise.
   On this particular day, as I sat close  and fooled with the knobs, I came across the sound of a Harmonica, playing to a different beat. The only other time I listened to a 'Harp',,,was when my father made a valiant effort to entertain us. 
   I just couldn't believe what I was hearing...the sound of Stevie Wonder coming full blast into my life, my heart and my soul!

   Other times I would lay on my bed and listen to the top 40's and Cousin Brucie, ramble of the hits of the day. This time was a little different, because it was for the end of the year 'top 40's'.
Now here they are for any of you that may be old enough to remember most, or at least some of them.

   I'm going to start with # 40, since that's the way it was presented and I have it written down that way.....

                    #40 ..Stand by me
                    #39..the lion Sleeps Tonight
                    #38..Baby Blue
                    #37..I Like It Like That
                    #36..Rain Drops
                    #35..Peppermint Twist
                    #34..Heart & Soul
                    #33..Gee Wizz
                    #32..I've Told Every Little Star
                    #31..Shop Around
                    #30..Always & Truly
                    #29..Twist
                    #28..Spanish Harlem
                    #27..Excides
                    #26..Calcuta
                    #25..The Boweval 
                    #24..I Don't Know Why I Love You, But I Do..
                    #23..Will You Love Me Tomorrow
                    #22..Big Bad John
                    #21..Please love Me Forever
                    #20..Barbara Ann
                    #19..Bristol Stomp
                    #18..School is Out
                    #17..Let's Twist Again
                    #16..My True Story
                    #15..There's a Moon Out Tonight 
                    #14..Tossing & Turning
                    #13..Daddy's Home
                    #12..Pony Time
                    #11..Take good Care Of My Baby
                    #10..Mother-in-Law
                    #9....Pretty Little Angel Eyes
                    #8....Hundred Pounds of Clay
                    #7....Michel
                    #6....Please Mister Post Man
                    #5....Run, Run..Run-away
                    #4....Run Around Sue
                    #3....Blue Moon
                    #2....Traveling Man
      and the #1.....Quarter to Three
              
      Well as you can see there are a lot of familiar songs of which, as I was adding them down the list, I was tempted to make a remark on how it brought me back to certain things that happened in that year. I thought better, since it would have taken too long. I then even thought how about an * after the one I reflected on the most. That too would have brought my fingers to yield under great emotion to my Hands, therefore a sudden slump on the Key board.
    
    Well I hope you enjoyed it and that those memories that might have been brought to light, were Joyful and with great positive feelings all over....
   

No comments:

Post a Comment