Wednesday, November 5, 2014

....Why Lizards, and how there became part of my Life...




                
         I've been here in Florida now for the past ten years, and it still amazes me of how some things are so different here. The obvious of course is the weather, then there's the flat landscape& the roads that crisscross it since it's so much easier to do with this type of landscape. 
       Why then is it so hard to get a Rail System build on this near perfect setting....? Also why is there not a system in place, where solar energy is the dominate source  ALL the electricity in this..the 'Sunshine State'...?!  Well I think we all know the answer to that one. But I'm not here to discuss politics, not even after the disastrous results of this last election, where anything over 50% is not the majority  and we have to have more than 60% to win over the amendment. Again I'm not here to discuss politics, especially when I haven't registers yet...as an Independent. Surely not a RepublicanSo no I didn't Vote, but would have been even more pissed off if I did..so I can't win for trying. 
        I just finished an article that went over the fact that 'things' happen for a reason, good or bad, so I'm going to suggest that not only Florida will come out of this mess, someday...but those Fat-cat Republicans will meet their justified ends.

      Now as I was saying before I got rudely interrupted by Politics, I was going to mention how it came to be the title of my blog..watchinglizardsonthewall.blogspot.com  Well before I moved here I lived at a house where I had my own room & access to the outer back porch. I had my desk set up facing the brick wall that was the surface for the outside wall of the house. Well before I knew it there were these friendly little Lizards crawling all over it and around the whole surrounding area. It gave me quite pause to stop and observe them in their natural habitat. It also gave me the time to think things over in my head. Some just silly thoughts and some serious revelations......I decided to try and capture both in writing them down..! 
       ........... A blog was born.........
  
     This is an article I found in the paper today, and thought I should share it with everyone so that maybe it would help in understanding my role here in my new home.....then again I know most of you know me well enough to understand how I got a little more.......  'Off the Wall'.................

        Faced with competition from an invading species, a type of Lizards in Florida took just 20 generations...about 15 years...to evolve feet better to climb trees, a new studies says.
     Biologists have long believed that evolution could occur rapidly among some species facing sudden, intense competition. In 1995, as part of an unrelated study, researchers introduced a foreign species of brown anole Lizards to three islands off the coast of Florida that were already green anole Lizards. Were know to move to higher perches after an invasion of brown ones.
     To test the rapid-evolution theory, researchers returned to the island 15 years later and examined the feet of the green Lizards......which had as predicted, relocated to higher perches. they had found that the Lizards had developed larger and stickier toe pads, a characteristic not shared by green Lizards on nearby island that had not been populated with brown Lizards.
       The ability to evolve rapidly could be a boon to species threatened with climate change, suggested the researchers, who published their study in the journal 'Science'. Other species that have shown an ability to do so include Darwin's finches in the Galapagos islands, which evolved smaller beaks just 22 years after the arrival of a competitive species, according to a Princeton study from 2006.
                        ..article by Douglas Quenqua,  New York Times...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment